Search squid archive

Re: Keep-Alive header not being displayed

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 19:11 -0700, JL wrote:

> I have configured my browser to use my Squid HTTP proxy and am going
> to the following URL to check the HTTP headers:
> http://www.proxyjudge.biz/az.php
>
> Unfortunately the HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE = 300 header is not displayed and I
> would like it to be.

Squid does not forward the Keep-Alive header because Squid considers it
a hop-by-hop header. Per HTTP protocol, hop-by-hop headers are not
forwarded by proxies. When a client sends Keep-Alive to a proxy, the
header is for the proxy and not for the origin server; it only applies
to the connection that ends at the proxy.

FWIW, the header itself is outdated and probably not supported by many
HTTP agents. Squid itself uses a Connection header to signal HTTP
connection persistence. The Connection is also a hop-by-hop header,
naturally.

It may help if you explain why you want to see that header sent to the
script. What are you trying to accomplish or check?

HTH,

Alex.