Search squid archive

Re: Persistent connect to cache_peer parent question

Amos Jeffries wrote:
Russell Suter wrote:
Hi,

I have a question with regards to persistent connections to a cache peer
parent.  I have
multiple users connecting through a custom compiled  Squid.2.6.STABLE17
(also tried
3.0.STABLE7) on a RedHat EL 4 box in front of a commercial web filter
appliance.  In my
squid.conf file, I have the cache_peer as:

cache_peer <IP> parent 8084 0 login=*:mxlogic no-query no-digest proxy-only

What seems to happen is that a persistent connection is made to the
appliance.  This in
and of itself isn't a problem except that all of the different users
show up as the first user
that made the initial connection.  This really jacks up the statistics
within the appliance.
I can get around this with:

server_persistent_connections off

but that is not as efficient as the persistent connection.
Is there any way to get one persistent connection per user to the
cache_peer parent?

Not my knowledge. Persistent Connections are a link-layer artifact
between any given client (ie squid) and a server.

To me, the behavior is broken.  Either the single connection
to the cache parent should provide the correct user
credentials, or there should be one persistent connection per
user.  To have multiple requests from different users be
represented by only one user is wrong...

--
Russ

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of
thinking we used when we created them.
   -- Albert Einstein

Russell Suter
MX Logic, Inc.