Search squid archive

Re: Squid keeps rotating.

Angela Williams wrote:
Hi!
On Thursday 05 June 2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:
Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
In my squid.conf I have edited the line logfile_rotate 0
so this should prevent squid from changing access.log to access.log.1
That's true

However for some reason it keeps doing that. Squid needs to write to
/var/log/squid/access.log since that is a named pipe that has a text
processor behind it. Any idea why Squid is still doing this ?
How's  /etc/logrotate.d/squid file. this is JUST one .

Example of /etc/logrotate.d/squid

/var/log/squid/access.log {
  daily
  rotate 4
  copytruncate
  compress
  notifempty
  missingok
}

/var/log/squid/cache.log {
  daily
  rotate 4
  copytruncate
  compress
  notifempty
  missingok
}

/var/log/squid/store.log {
  daily
  rotate 4
  copytruncate
  compress
  notifempty
  missingok

  # This script asks squid to rotate its logs on its own.
  # Restarting squid is a long process and it is not worth
  # doing it just to rotate logs
  postrotate
  /usr/sbin/squid -k rotate
  endscript
}

As you can see, I use the /usr/sbin/squid -k rotate command to let
squid rotate his logs. You can issue this command everytime you feel
the need to.
Does anyone have working experience with this?

Just a bit!

I'm wondering if the above works and want to find out why. Because last
time I trusted logrotate like this. It renumbered the logs on me. Then
squid -k rotate did it again. Which resulted in twice as many logs and
every second one being empty.

I sat and puzzled over this a few times!
I ended up with a cronscript to do my sarg stuff and then tell squid to rotate its logs itself! The extra puzzling thing is that a few of my squid server boxes worked correctly with the above logrotate script and logfile_rotate 0 in the squid.conf. Each server is pretty much configured the same with Gentoo and regular updates. I even tried telling logrotate to rotate 10 and squid 5 to try and get a handle on it! I just gave up and used my sarg cronscript!

Ah, memories :-)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows enough to say why it works when it does.

Amos