Search squid archive

Re: X_FORWARDED_FOR, squid and apache cheating

howard chen wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
request_header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all

Note mixed-case HTTP name, not the PHP internal variable name.

The problem is, I do want "X-Forwarded-For", if it is added by my
squid, but not client. Since I can trust my squid but not my client.

If setting the "request_header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all", my
PHP even cannot get the "unknown" value even if I am using
"forwarded_for on"

Btw, If I use Firefox Modify Header to add my custom "X_FORWARDED_FOR"
(note the case), my PHP can still get the "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"
header, maybe this is a potential security hole?

Howard

Okay, you will need to use the new X-Forwarded-For extensions recently added for 3.1 then. Which gives you a few extra manipulations of the XFF header, the 'truncate' setting does what you want.

Pull a daily snapshot of 3-HEAD and test it for usability. Yes, its beta-level development code, but stable and debugged enough for most uses now.
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/HEAD/

Amos