Search squid archive

Re: logging ident while avoiding an ident lookup for each request

Marc Haber wrote:
Hi,

I have a case where a squid provides caching services for a multi-user
Unix system which has identd enabled. I'd like squid to log the ident
value of a user with the access in the access log. I have already
accomplished this (it's rather easy to do), but I am concerned about
load issues this might impose on the multi-user system and on the
network since the amount of TCP connections on the network is neatly
doubled.

Is it possible to have squid send some kind of identification to the
browser so that an ident lookup is only necessary for the first http
request in a session and the client can be identified by the bit sent
back by the browser for the rest of the session?

Or am I chasing a phantom here and the load imposed by the
ident-lookups (which includes TCP session building and teardown) is
negligible? Which other solutions are possible?

Greetings
Marc

Squid considers identd lookups to be an authentication type. Which gets cached for a short period against the client IP to prevent such loading of the network.

Amos