Search squid archive

Re: squid under GPL

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> If you are serious about this _and_ want to hide some appliance source
> code, then you should not rely on answers from this or any other
> non-legally binding forum. Besides the basics, many folks have different
> opinion on what GPL really means (e.g., I am sure some will disagree
> with or at least clarify parts of the above response).

Starting at the GPL FAQ, which of course doesn't constitute legal advice:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls
 to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
 program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program
 and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL
 or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL
 must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed."

The only opinion that matters is the opinion you can get from a judge
in a court, but its sufficiently grey for it to be risky. Of course,
risk analysis is a completely different area (ie, how much risk versus
profit for a particular thing; figuring out whether its worth it)
and again, way off topic for here.

People should be careful :)

Adrian