Search squid archive

Request processing question

I've got a couple questions about how Squid chooses to fulfill a request. Basically, I've got a cache with a number of sibling peers defined. Some of the time it makes an ICP query to those peers and then does everything it should do, takes the first hit, makes the HTTP request for the object via that peer, etc. Some, perhaps most, of the time, it doesn't even make an ICP query for the object, it just goes direct to the origin server. Can anyone tell me why that is and how to stop it? I'd like Squid to, at the very least, make the query for every request. Can anyone point me in the right direction? This is Squid 2.5 STABLE12, by the way.

I've also got a broader, more general question of how a request flows through the Squid process, when ACLs are processed, are they before or after any rewriter is done to the URLs, etc., but that's a really secondary thing, right now I'm just concerned with the ICP question.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722