Search squid archive

Re: transparency Squid very slow internet

Guillaume Chartrand wrote:
Hi I run squid 2.6.STABLE12 on RHEL3 AS for web-caching and filtering
my internet. I use also Squidguard to block some sites. I configure
squid to run with WCCP v2 with my cisco router. So all my web-cache
traffic is redirected transparently to squid.

I don't know why but when I activate the squid it's really decrease
my internet speed. It's long to have page loaded, even when it's in
my network. I look with the command top and the squid process run
only about 2-3 % of CPU and 15% of Memory. I also run iftop and I
have about 15 Mb/s Total on my ethernet interface. I don't know where
to look in the config to increase the speed. I use about 50% of disk
space so it's not so bad

Another possible issue is that squid is having to wait on a slow DNS server. Take a look at the mgr:info report:

$ /usr/sbin/squidclient mgr:info

And look at "Median Service Times" section. In our case, DNS lookups were in the 5+ second range, due to the primary DNS server being broken. So squid was asking the primary DNS server, waiting 5 seconds, then asking the backup DNS server. A normal squid server will be servicing all requests in under 1 second (depending on your load).