Search squid archive

Re: FTP access configuration

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Henrik Nordström
<henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> fre 2008-02-22 klockan 12:48 +0530 skrev Arun Shrimali:
>

>  > Is there any way that browser pop up for the username and password,
>  > because the said method disclose the password to all and that could be
>  > a security issue .......
>
>  Squid supports this mode of operation when seeing ftp://user@host/ style
>  URLs, but unfortunately most clients tries to be either too dumb or too
>  smart to handle it right.
>
>  It's quite amasing as when using a proxy there technically is no
>  difference at all between http:// and ftp:// to the browser other than
>  the difference in letters. In both cases the request is sent over HTTP
>  to the HTTP proxy with then gateways ftp:// requests to FTP. Yet they
>  handle the two schemes very very differently..
>
>  Regards
>  Henrik

I have tried the said method also  ftp://user@host/, but I found the
following error ( I have the ftp username as reso.ac.in)

While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://reso.ac.in@xxxxxxxxxx/
The following error was encountered:
Cache Access Denied.
Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:
    ftp://reso.ac.in@xxxxxxxxxx/
from this cache until you have authenticated yourself.
You need to use Netscape version 2.0 or greater, or Microsoft Internet
Explorer 3.0, or an HTTP/1.1 compliant browser for this to work.
Please contact the cache administrator if you have difficulties
authenticating yourself or change your default password.

There might be need to configure, thus i am enclosing squid.conf herewith.

Arun