Search squid archive

Re: FTP access configuration

Arun Shrimali wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear All,

 > I have configured the Squid (with authentication ) and it is working
 > fine for surfing internet. But whenever client tried to access our ftp
 > site (which is also password protected), instead of asking for
 > password it automatic tried the password and give this error
 >
 > ERROR
 > The requested URL could not be retrieved
 >
 > An FTP authentication failure occurred while trying to retrieve the
 >
 > Squid sent the following FTP command:
 >
 >     PASS <yourpassword>
 >
 > and then received this reply
 >
 >     User anonymous cannot log in.
 >
 > Your cache administrator is arun@xxxxxxxxxxx
 > Generated Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:38:07 GMT by localhost.localdomain
 > (squid/2.6.STABLE4)
 >
 > --
 >
 > can anybody hep me where and what configuration is required ??

 Clients need to send their ftp login as part of the URL for proxied
 connections.
 ie.   ftp://user:pass@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

 You may also be able to use:
  ftp_user user:pass@

 BUT, if that worked it would have the same login for all users going
 through squid.

 Amos

Is there any way that browser pop up for the username and password,
because the said method disclose the password to all and that could be
a security issue .......

Arun

Oh yes. I overlooked the cache_peer method.

cache_peer ... ... login=PASS

Along with a proxy_auth ACL might do what you want.

Amos
--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+