Search squid archive

Re: Random image generator w/ reverse-proxy

Keith M. Richard wrote:
All,
I have a web page on my site that has a randomly generated image (Alpha numeric picture) to allow users to register. I am using squid as an accelerator in my DMZ to this internal web server. Right now the image is coded as an unsecured (http) link/servlet on port 8888, which is just a random port. This is embedded in a HTTPS page. If I don't use squid it works but through squid if fails to display the image.
            I have checked the firewall and it is properly configured. When I check the firewalls log, it shows the request to 8888 from the outside, but those same requests are never passed through squid for some reason. I have also run Wireshark on the squid server to capture the traffic as users made requests and I see the TCP [SYN] from the client to the squid servers IP address, but then the squid sends a TCP [RST, ACK]. When I watch the same request being made from the squid server running FireFox to the internal web server it makes the handshake. I cannot figure out why the reset is happening.

I'd guess it's because Squid is not listening on port 8888... See comments in the squid.conf section below.

        I modified the logformat so that I can get some readable data and this is what I get from the output:
18/Feb/2008:13:03:12 -0600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51651 192.168.0.135:8888 TCP_MISS/404 697 GET http://www.my-company.org/randomimages/servlet/org.groupbenefits.por
tal.RandomImageGenServlet? FIRST_UP_PARENT/192.1.0.59 text/html

That's certainly an interesting log fragment as it goes against what you state in the second paragraph above (this is not evidence of a TCP [RST, ACK]). Instead it is indicative of a different problem (namely the forward is going to the wrong port (notice the lack of a port on the GET request), hence the 404).

# Basic config
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto http cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 8080 # safe
acl Safe_ports port 8888 # safe
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
# Accelerator Mode
http_port 80 defaultsite=www.my-company.org
http_port 192.1.0.59:8888 defaultsite=www.my-company.org

Considering the fact that squid is using the server at 192.1.0.59 as the origin server, and that you stated Squid is in the DMZ, and the web server is internal, I can surmise that Squid is on a different host from the origin server. There is no way for Squid to open a port on an IP address that is not assigned to a local interface. Check your cache.log when you start up, and I bet you will see evidence of this problem.

https_port 443 cert=/etc/squid/cert/portalcert.pem key=/etc/squid/cert/key.pem defaultsite=www.my-company.org
cache_peer 192.1.0.59 parent 443 0 no-query originserver ssl login=PASS name=www.my-company.org
cache_peer 192.1.0.59 parent 8888 0 no-query originserver
visible_hostname www.my-company.org
acl ourSite dstdomain www.my-company.org
http_access allow ourSite
# Log file and cache options
logformat squid %tl %>a:%>p %la:%lp %Ss/%03Hs %<st %rm %ru %Sh/%<A %mt
cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 100 16 256
cache_swap_low 90
cache_swap_high 95
access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
cache_store_log /var/log/squid/store.log
pid_filename /var/spool/squid/squid.pid
#Cache Manager settings
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager