Search squid archive

Question

Hi,

Here at work we have programs that run on computers that ask for large files from our storage computer(s) (also on our network). Instead of copying the file locally each time for every computer - we would like to find out if we could use Squid for this purpose. On the first time - squid would copy the desired file to the computer's cache (could be Gigabytes) and then on subsequent requests the required file will be taken from the cache by the proxy,
and not copied again.
Can we use Squid for this and if so - how so ?

Thank you in advance,
      Adam