Search squid archive

Re: Redirects changing POST to GET

Amos Jeffries wrote:
I've setup a reverse proxy running Squid 2.6.STABLE6 5.el5_1.2 on RHEL5.1.
 All remote access to the proxy is supposed to be via HTTPS, but since
some of the protected apps give out absolute URL's at HTTP, I've also
setup a redirector that listens on port 80 and sends a 301 redirect back
to the client with an HTTPS version of the same URL.

The problem I'm seeing is that whenever a CGI is called via HTTP with a
POST method, it gets converted to GET when the new request comes in on
HTTPS.  This, of course, breaks the app.

When I bypass the proxy, the HTTP POST method works just fine.  Any ideas
what might be causing the method to change or how to get around this?
Every web search I try comes up empty.  I'm not sure if the variables are
getting dropped in the process, or if the app just doesn't know how to
handle GET methods, but regardless, this is a debilitating problem for
this app, so I really need a solution.  The app in question is Oracle
Collaboration Suite 10g, if it makes a difference.

Sounds like a broken CGI to me. With redirection to 301:... squid should
be actually sending the 301 back to the client for it to re-POST back to
the new URI.

I don't see how it can be the CGI that's at fault, because the conversion from POST to GET is happening before the CGI ever gets hit.  I think itmust be something about the proxy, redirector, or browser that's causing the conversion.

I should mention that we've experienced this with both IE 7 on WinXP and with Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.

Has anybody seen this behavior before, or heard anything that would indicate the conversion is a security feature?
begin:vcard
fn:Ben Hollingsworth
n:Hollingsworth;Ben
org:BryanLGH Health System;Information Technology
adr:;;1600 S. 48th St.;Lincoln;NE;68506;USA
email;internet:ben.hollingsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Systems Programmer
tel;work:402-481-8582
tel;fax:402-481-8354