Search squid archive

Re: Squid and NTLM using require_membership_of stills prompts for username

Adrian Chadd wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007, cuchulain 78 wrote:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp --require-membership-of=groupname

However if a user who isnt a member of this group tries to browse, they get
prompted for a username and password. Is there any way to disable this login
box and forward them to the standard squid denied page.

Since I dont know with program pops up the login bix I actually dont know if
this is squid or dansguardian related.

I believe its part and parcel of the authentication process. Squid sends
an authentication challenge; they send their reply; Squid then says "nup!"
and asks for it to try authenticating again. The browser then pops up a
box asking for alternative credentials.

While technically exactly true. There is a workaround that I have been itching to try out. If you are up for an experiment cuchulain 78!

According to Henrik way back; the box only pops up if auth is the last ACL on the line. Along with that is my own experiences hacking deny_info for nefarous purposes :-)

So ... creating a new ACL containing 'all' ... placing it at the EOL and adding a matching deny_info ... should in my mind do what is wanted here.

The config would look like this:

# skipping the actual auth_param bits ... ...

# and the bits checking whatever web-login ...

acl ntmlAuth auth REQUIRED
acl altAuth src all
deny_into htto://page.somewhere.invalid/index.html altAuth
http_access deny !ntlmAuth altAuth

Anyone keen to try that out? Could you please let me know the resulting success/failure.

Amos