Search squid archive

Re: Squid not responding

stephane lepain wrote:
On Saturday 10 November 2007 01:46:59 Amos Jeffries wrote:
stephane lepain wrote:
On Friday 09 November 2007 15:20:04 Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
Hi Stephane,

stephane lepain wrote:
Hi Guys,

Squid did not respond when I restarted my PC. I don't have any error
message in /etc/squid/squid.out. It seems that squid is not even
registering. Since I don't have an error message, I can't sort this
out. I also tried a restart, stop and start but nothing would do.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ and then ./squid restart.
Anyone has any thought on this?
Which OS and Squid version are you running? What do you have for the
following directive in your squid.conf:

cache_log

If you had tried to restart Squid from /etc/rc.d/init.d and if Squid
failed to load, then Squid will report errors in cache.log unless you
have configured Squid not to generate a cache.log file!

By the way, just in case, check your hard drive disk space usage.

If nothing helps, check where the Squid binary is located from your
startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid.

Go to the directory where the Squid binary is residing and run:

./squid -NCd1

You will see the errors why your Squid is not starting or not responding
in the 1st place.

Thanking you ...

Cheers to all of you
Hi all,

I now have got an error message saying "could not determine fully
qualified host name. set visible host name" . I cant seem to get around
this. I would appreciate a hand.

Cheers to all
Publicly visible host needs a FQDN assigned and rDNS configured. All the
networking software on your host will be having problems with this.

Assuming you are on a unice;
  /etc/hostname should contains a FQDN

  OR in the rare event that you CANT do that;

  it must contain a valid host name (ie 'proxy') and /etc/resolv.conf
must contain a domain entry that combines to form a FQDN <host>.<domain>
with rDNS that resolves to an IP asigned to that machine.

As a hack-around just for squid there is the visible_hostname directive,
although this will go nowhere to fixing the DNS/rDNS problems at the
cause of the message.

Amos

Though that is kind of weird because I didn't have that problem before. I have switched all my server from Mandriva to Ubuntu Server version. I think that could be the problem!! I am now using SQUID 2.6 stable 14 as well. Should I run the latest version?

Ah, Ubuntu.
There is a well-known weirdnesses with the Ubuntu NetworkManager, related to the resolv.conf.

Most 'nixes I've seen configure /etc/hostname as a single tag and resolv.conf to contain the rest of the domain as I said before.
So far that okay.
Where Ubuntu screw things up is replacing the resolv.conf every time any one of the interfaces goes up. Using details pulled via DHCP from that interface (ONLY!) or from its default config. If you have more than one interface on the machine it will only take the settings from the last one to go up :-( even if proper DHCP is coming in from an earlier one! That can cause a whole bunch of short term problems with DNS and routing until its sorted out.

The visible_hostname option in squid.conf seem sto be the only way to get around this consistently.

Amos