Search squid archive

Re: squid3 WindowsUpdate failed

Amos Jeffries schrieb:
John Mok wrote:
Hi,

I am using Squid3 nightly built 20071026 running on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS with the compilation options :-

./configure --with-pthreads --enable-icap-client

I tried both (i) the configurations with default option, or (ii) icap-enabled options, the Windows client failed to get WindowsUpdate (see the following log).

Where is this failure you speak of?
The log you posted showed a proper link to WindowsUpdate, with all the static content coming from cache (TCP_HIT/TCP_IMS_HIT) and the dynamic pages and updates being brought in from M$ (TCP_MISS)

If your client got the custom M$ "Windows Update failed" page.
Then I suspect you have overlooked a M$ nasty:
  WU requires an HTTPS 'validation' test.
  You MUST permit an HTTP 'CONNECT' request to 65.55.184.125:443.
(the IPA being that of www.update.microsoft.com from your current location)

This bypass needs to be made on your firewall. WU will NOT always attempt it through the configured proxy :-(

The best you can do is bypass it at the FW and also configure the proxy manually in IE, then run "proxycfg -u" in command line on the windows box, and hope that the particular box update level will use the proxy for it.

Amos
Sorry Amos,

the problem exists! It appeared with squid 3.0 RC1. After the downgrade to 2.6 (urlgroup is missing in 3.0) I don't have any problem with WU.
The bypass in the firewall is not needed for proper operation.

Reinhard