Search squid archive

Re: how to set up an "allow all" list for specific users

Aidan Gullickson wrote:
Hello,

I am attempting to set up an acl for our IT staff so that they are not subject to any of the other restrictions we have specified in our squid.conf file. I am having difficulty getting this running properly. I did spend several hours searching the archives and Google and was unable to find anything specifically on this topic, however I apologize if this has been asked before.

Our proxy server is running FreeBSD 6.2, and we are on squid version 2.6. Our squid.conf file is fairly complex and we are using it to block content such as streaming audio and video, IM, social networking sites, downloading executables, etc. I want to add an additional acl that would allow certain users open access, without being subject to any of the other blocks we have set up. We are authenticating users against our LDAP server via proxy_auth.

What I have in place right now is the following:

# IT staff members allowed unrestricted access
   acl IT_staff proxy_auth user1 user2 user3 user4

This line is near the top of our squid.conf. Much further along, nearly at the bottom, I have the following line:

   http_access allow IT_staff

I have also experimented with:

   http_access allow IT_staff all

Those two lines are identical in meaning to squid. Second just takes longer to test.

Those users in the group IT_staff are able to browse web sites without any restrictions, however I'm having a few side effects. One is that I get a lot of false positive matches with sites being denied to non IT_staff users because they match "IT_staff".

You obviously have a "deny ... IT_Staff" or an "allow ... !IT_Staff" in the config somewhere. Using 'IT_Staff' as the last acl on the *_access line will cause its name to be used in error page if the entire *_access results in denial.

Could anyone advise on either how to correct what I have going on now, or how to just set up an acl that would allow unrestricted access for a group of users, specified by username?

You have located the best way. Just not using it right.

Amos