Search squid archive

Re: Browser settings - Logging output

Cryer,Phil wrote:
2 questions today:

First, does it matter that a browser is talking to a proxy versus a web
browser?  Someone asked because they believe that when it's talking to a
proxy it issues a CONNECT, where if it's talking to a web server it
places a GET - wondering if this is true, and if it will effect
anything.

The CONNECT method is (given a default squid.conf) only allowed when accessing a webserver on port 443.

Second, how do companies that need metrics on their Apache logs deal
with Squid logs?  Do I need to patch the src as they describe here:
http://www.jamkit.com/Services/TechnologyResources/Apache-stylesquidlogs
- do I need to wait for 3.0 or should I just have them run reporting
against Squid logs?  I'm now trying emulate_httpd_log on - but the logs
don't look any different.

Many log analyzers recognize squid logs. Otherwise, get the web server logs to use the VIA or X_Forwarded_For headers.

I'm running 2.6.STABLE13 x86_64 binary on Red Hat EL4 x86_64 - when does
3.0 come out?

Thanks for the advice.

Phil Cryer
IS - Linux Administrator