Search squid archive

Re: Akamai-like CDN using squid and a DNS trick

Hi Vicente,

Vicente Aguilar wrote:
Hi

I've written a brief success story about how we used squid and a DNS trick to solve a networking problem between ISPs that was affecting our webs' performance and public image.

Long story short: all the users of a particular ISP had problems accessing our pages because of a routing problem between that ISP and ours. We ended up installing a squid reverse-proxy on that ISP's datacenter, and redirecting all its users there by returning a different DNS response depending on the client's IP address. This method could be extended to use as many ISPs/proxies as needed, creating a homegrown, Akamai-like CDN.

Your solution seems to be simple yet very effective and elegant. I will definitely try to replicate it if a similar occasion like yours arises in the future.

The article is available here:

http://www.bisente.com/blog/2007/08/09/un-akamai-de-andar-por-casa/?lan=english

Hope someone finds it useful. :)

I found it useful and it should really be useful for satellite links too in addition to bad routing problems.

Thanking you....

Regards

--

With best regards and good wishes,