Search squid archive

Re: windows update through squid -- sharing experience

Jigar Raval wrote:
Hello All,

I would like to share my experience about windows
updtate service pack 2 and latest version through
proxy. We have observed if Windows XP Professional
Version 2002, Service Pack2 has automatica update is
enable than squid was not allowing to update windows.
We had a lot of communication with microsoft but we
could not get proper solution. We were trying by
different option. We format our system and installed
with Windows XP service Pack1 and turn off automatic
update and tried to update and we got succeed. Then,
we turn off the window automatic update option and try
to update, the system updated successfully.
Those who have windows update problem, with squid
kindly try. If anyone has some different
experience,kindly give me suggestion.

Thank you.

Jigar

With SP2, to force Automatic Updates to use the proxy server, use the Windows command "proxycfg -u" to force AU to use IE browser proxy settings. You can also specify the proxy server manually using the -p switch. The -d switch returns it to default "direct access" setting.

If you have a large number of PCs behind the proxy, WSUS server (a free download from MS for Windows Server 2003) could be an option to save bandwidth and to control what updates are applied. We still use SUS server (it's currenly still receiving new updates even though no longer supported) and tell the AU clients where to get updates via a registry key that is set by group policy.

Regards,
Dietrich