Search squid archive

Re: Squid and Windows Update

squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That's what we do and it works very well. We do the same for common
antivirus update sites too. :-)

Just a thought on WindowsUpdate via squid though, it's very very slow
through squid. Seems to take
many minutes to check for updates, but when bypassing the proxy this is
not the case. I wonder if
this is normal for squid?

It is a side effect of WindowsUpdate that has been seen before on occasion
under some squid configs.

WindowsUpdate apparently pulls its data from the main servers using
partial Ranges. Squid does not to my knowledge fully support storage of
partial ranges (we have plans to improve this but no sponsor yet I think).
Also some configurations are set to always pull the entire file when a
range is requested.
The cachability settings of the WU servers may also be a factor.

If your config has been set to always pull the entire file and cache it,
you could try allowing squid to pull ranges and not cache them.

Amos

Thanks for that Amos. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to documentation about configuring such features? The WU issues probably needs expanding upon in the FAQs I guess. :-)

Thanks in advance.
Dietrich