Search squid archive

Re: Squid as a content filter proxy: whitelist approach

I know it's possible (and perhaps written in stone in an RFC) to have the
client maintain a proxy exclusion list, but that would be unmanageble in
this sort of setup.

Is it? You use a centrally provided proxy.pac to control the browser.
You don't need a complete whitelist in the proxy.pac, just sufficient to
avoid wasting too much bandwidth.

Thanks for your response.
I've done a bit of digging around but have found little info on proxy.pac files. Can i assume, before i do more digging around, that I can put an exclusion list in a .pac file, and have squid push it transparently to each web browser client upon first http request? The transparency is important, as getting each user to configure their browser is out of the question in this setup. I can already see problems with exclusion lists becoming large enough to take a substantial time to download to the clients.

Again, one could imagine an proxy exclusion list held on the squid server, that when a URL request is received by squid, if it matches the exclusion list, squid could answer "go directly to destination", but i doubt that is part of the http-proxy protocol.

cheers

Jack