Search squid archive

Proxy Specs

Hi there,I am coding a proxy (not something big, I just need it for a project)in Java, then I would have some questions about proxies :
 * Why does HTTP/FTP/SSL & co proxies exist since SOCKS alone coulddo all needed tasks ?  * Can I force firefox (or anything else) that support both HTTP andSOCKS to use SOCKS for seeing web pages ?  * Where can I find specs for doing HTTP/FTP/SSL/Gopher proxy ?  * How comes that all proxy services are listening on the same port ?Does the proxy server bind to specific protocol proxy according towhat headers looks like ?
Regards,Rémy