Search squid archive

Re: Re: Squid log details - HTTPS tunnel detection

On 5/23/07, Markus Moeller <huaraz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Henrik Nordstrom" <henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>Most isn't actually using SSL, so a IDS system looking for odd traffic
>in CONNECT requests will trap many of them (but not all).

Any chance of implementing basic "Is this CONNECT session really SSL?"
functionality in Squid?

Correct. But I am specifically interested in the bad guys which use SSL.

I recall some (recent?) research on using Netflow and/or Argus to
identify unusual patterns of traffic flow.  Normal HTTP inside of SSL
produces a different pattern of query->response packets than does a
remote access tunnel, this can be detected by old school "traffic
analysis".

Another option is to route SSL through a commercial product which does
true SSL/TLS "interception", terminating the crypto in the analysis
box and then re-establishing a new SSL session to the Internet.  This
has *huge* implications for privacy, HIPAA, etc.

I've spoken with Bluecoat, Radware, Checkpoint, and others about
products in this space, but the whole idea gives me the willies.

Kevin