Search squid archive

Re: Kinder, gentler ignore-auth option

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
mån 2007-05-21 klockan 10:43 -0400 skrev Benno Blumenthal:

either in ignore-auth or in some other option? Then authorization would still work, and it would cache for each user under Basic authentication (not digest, unfortunately).

Why do you want Squid to act as a per-user cache? The browser caches
does that job pretty good..

Regards
Henrik
Because my client is not a browser, it is a service that analyzes data, and uses other services to access data, and I wrote the server/client to let squid do the caching, rather than reinventing the wheel. I am encouraging the data service in question to label their HTTP responses correctly (with Cache-Control: public and Vary: Authorization) headers, but not clear that they will pay any attention to me, a story you probably have heard before.

I did actually figure out a way around the problem: a data access involves several HTTP requests (as it happens), so I wrote a pair of refresh rules: one pattern for the first request of the set (so that it won't cache and authentication happens), and I ignore-auth cache the rest of the set (which is the important data payload -- read slower -- anyway). But I wrote in part because I couldn't be sure which way ignore-auth was intended: it would be nice if the documentation were explicit about the header equivalent.

Thanks for asking,

Benno