Search squid archive

Re: using packet filtering to discover TCP end-to-end latency

On Mon, May 21, 2007, Rohit Grover wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to discover the TCP end-to-end latency between web clients and
> servers transparently (i.e. without altering the clients or the
> servers in any way). I have squid running as a proxy server on a linux
> box, sitting between the clients and the servers. I can have the
> clients change their proxy settings to have requests pass through
> squid. Squid can measure latencies between itself and the web servers.
> The problem is to measure the network latency when squid tries to
> forward the server responses back to clients.

Linux has some hooks into user space which can provide TCP connection
statistics. You could log them for both client/server and do some
addition/averaging where appropriate.

I -think- it includes guessed RTT, not sure.

Otherwise, the ICMP database code could probably be coaxed into doing
what you want.

Adrian