Search squid archive

Re: squid+wccp

On Mon, May 14, 2007, Facundo Vilarnovo wrote:
> Dear Squid users:
> 	Alter a successful install with squid and wccp everything Works
> fine, but the other day it come to us a request from a client, that says
> "when I go to http://whatsmyip.org/ , the url says that the client ip
> address (origin) is the ip of the squid. It seems that we can't find why
> this is...
> 	Is this a normal behavior for squid? Or I'm missing something in
> the configuration file, some option?
> 	We also try with the "tproxy" value instead "transparent", but
> it doesn't seem to work at all.

Thats the correct behaviour for normal WCCP transparent proxying.
You're redirecting client traffic to the proxy; so the client doesn't know
its speaking via an intermediary.

You have to do more than just enable tproxy; you have to:

* do a bit of googling for Squid+TPROXY;
* patch your kernel + iptables to have tproxy support;
* configure WCCPv2 (and squid too) to redirect traffic both from your clients
  and from internet webservers to your proxy/proxies;
* make sure Squid's setup right to do tproxy'ing.

I keep asking for some examples from people who have it working, but noone
seems willing to step up and help me write some documentation..

Adrian