Search squid archive

delay pools + memory requirement

Hi all

     I have a 2 mbps lease line with around 300 users . I want to use
delay pools to restrict the download to 40 kbps per users . Please
help me with the configuration . Now most of the users user download
accelarators generating multiple threads . So if i implement delay
pools will it limit the download per thread or on the whole ie per ip
.  Moreover what will be the memory requirement . presently free -m
shows

Mem:          1002        989         13          0         35         84
-/+ buffers/cache:        869        133
Swap:         2047         49       1997

If this is is not enough then how much do i need ?
Moreover does implementing delay pools effect the performance of the server ?

Cheers Preetish