Search squid archive

comm_select: kevent failure: (9) Bad file descriptor

hello,

we have been using squid-2.6.6 (with some security patches from higher versions and the kevent patch from .11) for some time now but few weeks ago we started getting:
2007/03/17 08:25:12| comm_select: kevent failure: (9) Bad file descriptor
2007/03/17 08:25:12| Select loop Error. Retry 1

this error is very infrequent and can appear randomly few times a day (1 to maximum of 22 so far) or does not at all for a few days and is not closely related to load or openfiles (meaning it never occured either at lowest or highest load). since my knowledge of C is limited i am not going to make any assumptions unless asked to do so. we have been running with squid for more than 4 years now (switching temporarily to oops for a while because of unefficient select() loop) and our central proxy now handles around ~550req/s at peak hours (1800-2100) with 80Mbit/s or more. squid is configured not to cache anything at all and and cache_dir is set to null since saving bandwidth via caching is not the issue here (was 2 years ago). we can't revert back to non-proxy as that would require a reconfigure of several thousand clients (and we don't want to because of fine acls squid provides). we are using ~200 class 2 delay_pools to limit clients at the application level. we tried switching the load among several proxy servers but the error did not disappear so we reverted back to central one backuped via carp. squid -k reconfigure is run 2 times a day to adjust delay_pools bandwidth levels. system runs freebsd-6.2 (releng_6 at 15th of March 2007) with 1gb ram and polling enabled to minimize the load (~20kpps) and since the introduction of squid kevent polling it worked great.

as we failed to resolve this problem and can't possibly imagine how to debug via gdb at this load we are kindly asking for your assistance.

regards,

s.