Search squid archive

Re: Force the caching of 302 responses without Expires header.[squid 2.5]

Hi,
I understand that it is requirement of HTTP protocol and in general
this would be very bad
idea. Here is why I need it.

This squid proxy is meant to be used only by my application. The
external webserver (my
application is using) uses 302 response as a cache busting technique.
I want to load test my application but not load the web server. Here
is a typical conversation
between my application (MyApp) and Webserver.

MyApp  --->  GET  HTTP://webeserver?query=sample --- >Webserver

Webserver ---> REDIRECT to
http://webserver/performquery?query=sample&rand=<a_random_number>
--->MyApp

MyApp --->GET http://webserver/performquery?query=sample&rand=123 ---> WebServer

Myserver  ---> OK (Actual answer to the query) --->MyApp.

For my load testing, if I can force cache the 302 response, and force
cache 200 response then MyApp would not be hitting the webserver
mercilessly.

Thanx,
HB

On 1/1/07, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
mån 2007-01-01 klockan 09:26 -0800 skrev Hemant Bist:
> Hi
> Is there some workaround to have squid cache 302 responses that do not have
> Expire header.[squid is acting as a web proxy]

You defenitely do not want to do this if you are running as a web proxy.
If you cache 302 responses without Expire header then every web site
requiring forms based login will fail, plus a lot more sites..

Why do you want to cache uncachable 302 responses?

The above requirement for 302 is defined by the HTTP standard, not by
Squid.  See RFC 2616 10.3.3 302 Found

Regards
Henrik