Search squid archive

Re: Disable PMTU

Ok, i explain the problem a little bit bad, sorry for my english ;)

Take a look of this(squid.conf.default of Squid3):

"In many setups of transparently intercepting proxies Path-MTU
discovery can not work on traffic towards the clients. This is
the case when the intercepting device does not fully track
connections and fails to forward ICMP must fragment messages
to the cache server. If you have such setup and experience that
certain clients sporadically hang or never complete requests set
disable-pmtu-discovery option to 'transparent'."

I want to disable the Path MTU of my server, how can i force to disable
it?
Maybe: echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc ???

 Well in this case , indicative to the value name it would be  :

               echo 1 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc

 (1 not 0) , whether it will help you can only be detected by subsequent
testing.

Note however that this also then is valid for all connections
from the SQUID box to the outside world (also web servers). This may
hamper network performance.

Or more fundamental : transparent proxy-ing violates , the idea of a layered
network model , and or that a client only has a unique TCP connection
to a server in all circumstances.

Hence several resulting in several possible
caveats, one of which we are discussing here...

M.