Search squid archive

Fixed--Re: [squid-users] access.log no longer functioning, after --with-large-files

Fixed.  I added the following line to my /etc/squid/squid.conf file.

access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid

This was after looking at the default squid.conf file for, on a hunch, any access.log config entries. I don't think this was mentioned in the updates info on the website--I did look to see if anything new had happened between v2.5 to v2.6 . Perhaps I just missed it. Since I did not re-write the squid.conf based on any updated, default, squid.conf, it seems strange that if there is *no* access_log line, that squid defaults to *no access.log*. This definitely bit me. I hope it makes sense, but at least it is functioning now. After lunch I'll do research to see if there is yet anything else I've missed.

Peter

Peter Smith wrote:

I tested this before pushing to production, on a Redhat Linux v7.2 server. It worked fine. I recompiled on the Redhat AS 3 (update 8) servers and installed. Now Squid doesn't even open its access.log at all. It does, however, open its cache.log . This is a fully updated Redhat AS 3 config, simply i386, SMP, nothing really weird. But currently, no logging. I'm using a modified Redhat AS RPM spec file for compilation. What follows is some of the configuration. The only thing different is the addition of the "--with-large-files" and a recompile. Only other thing is I'm going from a functional Squid-2.5.STABLE6 to a (non-logging) Squid-2.6.STABLE4 . Like I said, this same RPM is working fine on a test (Redhat v7.2) server. There does not appear to be anything odd in the cache.log, other than naughty clients making some bogus requests. The Squid(s) appear functional other than the logging.

%configure \
--program-prefix= \
--prefix=/usr \
--exec-prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--datadir=/usr/lib/squid \
--includedir=/usr/include \
--libdir=/usr/lib \
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec \
--localstatedir=/var \
--sharedstatedir=/usr/com \
--mandir=/usr/share/man \
--infodir=/usr/share/info \
--exec_prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/sbin \
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid \
--localstatedir=/var \
--sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
--enable-poll \
--enable-snmp \
--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru \
--enable-storeio=aufs,coss,diskd,ufs,null \
--enable-delay-pools \
--enable-linux-netfilter \
--enable-carp \
--with-pthreads \
--enable-cache-digests \
--enable-underscores \
--enable-basic-auth-helpers=LDAP,NCSA,PAM,SMB,MSNT \
--with-large-files

Thank you,
Peter