Search squid archive

Re: Password encryption between browser and proxy

On Friday 06 October 2006 18:05, Alejandro wrote:
> Dear all, I use a user/password basic authentication  system in order to
> validate users to use Internet through the Squid. I know the client
> browser sends the password to the Squid in a Base-64 encoding way, so my
> question is:
>
> Can the client browser send the password in an ENCRYPTED manner to the
> Squid and not using Base-64 encoding ??? How can I do this ??

You can use digest authentication. Squid comes with a "digest_pw_auth"
binary that you can use as an authenticator. See also the
README.auth_module.digest_pw_auth

I hope that one day the browsers will be able to use an SSL connection to
the proxy. Let's start a petition. :)

 Christoph