Search squid archive

Re: Squid sometimes failed on boot but it work

Chris Robertson ha scritto:
Paolo De Marco wrote:
Hi all.
I have a RedHat 9 with Squid Cache version 2.5.STABLE1 for i386-redhat-linux-gnu, and it starts on the boot machine.
Sometimes Squid failed to start on machine's boot. In messages i see

squid: Starting squid:
squid[1886]: Squid Parent: child process 1889 started
squid: .
last message repeated 19 times
squid:
rc: Starting squid:  failed

but it works good! Squid accepts all requests. In cache.log there are no errors...
I have 8 machines with the same problem. Any idea?

My guess would be that your init script starts Squid (successfully) and looks for a pid file to verify that Squid is running (printing a period every second for 20 seconds while waiting). I would further speculate that the pid file is either being created in a location other than the one that the init script expects it (likely /var/run/squid.pid), or is not created due to a permissions issue. Not having that pid file to fall back on will likely prevent your init script from properly stopping squid (or reloading it for that matter). But this is all just speculation.

Chris

Thanks for the answer.
In the squid's starting script the pid file is located in /var/run: the pid file exist, and the permissions are
-rw-r--r--    1 root     squid           squid.pid
so i think this is not the problem.
Sometimes Squid failed to start on machine's boot, but not always...

--
Paolo De Marco