Search squid archive

CentOS 4.3 and Squid Version

I'm getting ready to put 3 Squid reverse proxy servers into production
and I'm looking for the best distro do to this with and the best way to
maintain Squid updates. I'm familiar with CentOS 4.3 and would like to
use that distro but found that Squid 2.5 STABLE6 is the latest version
for CentOS 4.3. Any reason why such a popular program like Squid would
not be updated for CentOS (Red Hat Clone)? I prefer to use up2date or
yum to update packages. Anyone have any suggestions for me?