Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:22 PM
To: 'squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Increased service times using aufs vs diskd

I'm using squid as an accelerator and I switched my cache_dir from diskd
(used because server is SMP) to aufs because of various bugs in the
diskd code (761, 1500).  However, when I make the switch (and clear the
cache_dir contents) the overall, hit, miss, and near miss service times
increase by almost 10 times.  Using diskd, the 24 hour average for
overall, hit, and near miss is 4ms and near miss is 1ms.  After the
switch, the times rocket up to 44ms, 43ms, 49ms, and 45ms for overall,
hit, miss, and near miss.  I am wondering if this is just a function of
the squid process now handling disk requests or is an indication of
another problem (although ~40ms is probably not much of a problem).

Here's the details of the system:
OS: RHEL4
Squid: 2.5.stable14 with epoll patch
Build options: ./configure --enable-epoll --enable-snmp
--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru --enable-storeio=aufs,diskd,ufs
--with-pthreads --enable-cachemgr-hostname=localhost
--disable-ident-lookups --enable-truncate --enable-cache-digests
--enable-htcp

<snip>

I didn't see what filesystem you are using. Changing from ext3 to ext2 and setting noatime on the cache_dir disks helped us in this circumstance.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many today claim to be tolerant. True tolerance, however, can cope
with others being intolerant.
    -Nigel Cunningham