Search squid archive

squid performance issues

Hi,

We are having some performance issues with squid:

The setup is like this:

1. a bunch of short acls with special exceptions (hosts and stuff)

2. a 279 line whitelist, type: regex -i

3. a 5755 line blacklist, type: regex -i

4. various small acls (authentication is somewhere here).

I had 2 ideas for reducing load on the proxy:

1. The blacklists is mainly a long list of hosts/websites (and various IPs), removing them from the DNS (or changing their address to an internal redirect) would make them unreachable (effectivly blocked) while also reducing the size of the blacklist by roughly 80%.

2. based on descriptions of how acls in squid worked (it goes through it and first hit 'falls out') I thought that maybe adding high-traffic sites to the top of the whitelist would reduce general load.

I hope these ideas make some (if limited amount of) sense, and would like to hear what you think of them.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

E.S. Rosenberg