Search squid archive

YaST FTP through Squid

List,

We have a group of SLES systems in a private, non-routable subnet that we provide Internet/intranet access to via a Squid proxy. This works great for proxying normal HTTP traffic through, but we are having problems getting non-anonymous FTP through the proxy. The YaST client does not allow you to specify an FTP username in the form ftp://user@hostname <ftp://user@hostname/>, but rather sends both a Proxy-authorization and an Authorization entity in the HTTP header.

My question: Is there any way to instruct Squid to use these credentials for FTP login? I read somewhere that Squid is not permitted to forward authorizations in which it "consumes", but is there a way to prevent Squid from consuming these credentials? I would prefer to avoid using a transparent proxy if possible...do I have any other options?

--
Michael Carpenter <macarpen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:macarpen@xxxxxxxxx>>