Search squid archive

Re: Squid in gigabit speed continuing...

fre 2006-06-09 klockan 19:01 +0200 skrev Pasi Pekka Leinonen:

> How does RAID slows down the disks speed if I have e.g. 4 pcs WD
> Raptor 10000rpm 74Gb on hardware or software RAID? Or is it realy
> better to have 4 pcs WD Raptor 10000rpm without RAID? Or is the gain
> from RAID so little it's not worth it?

There is no RAID which will beat the performance of a setup using equal
number of separate spindles without RAID.

> What would be the best amount of storage to cache 300 user network.

How many HTTP requests / second?

> which is most important when not using RAID: The amount of disk space
> or the amount of disks.

amount of disks. Seek time is the main bottleneck for Squid disk I/O.
Main contributors to that is the randomness of cache hits and the
purging of old data when the cache is full..

Regards
Henrik