Search squid archive

Re: Caching PHP thru Squid Reverse Proxy

James Stewart wrote:

I have Squid set up as a reverse proxy pointing back to an Apache/PHP
web server. I'm trying to convince squid to cache the output of PHP
scripts but with mixed success.

I've reduced my test to a basic script that runs phpinfo();. When I
connect to the page via my squid reverse proxy this seems to result in a
mem_hit using IE but a miss when I use Firefox.

Does anybody know why there would be a difference based on which browser
I use? Any suggestions on how to make Squid cache php consistently?

Thanks,

James

What is important here is how you are requesting the page. Having the page open in Firefox, and hitting reload will cause a "Cache-Control: max-age=0" header to be sent which requires revalidation of the page in question (see http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Issues/reload-operations.html).

Use one of the cacheability engines if possible, or set your browser cache to 0 (both mem and disk) and surf to the page using a bookmark.

Chris