Search squid archive

ETag support for html files

We use using Squid to cache image, css, js and html files.

We currently use the expires tag for html files. This works well in the sense that if the configurable time has not expired, squid services the requests and saves the rest of our infrastructure from the hit.

However, our html pages may change in the expires time frame.

Perhaps a better model for us is more of an update based model using ETag. The down side of this is that our infrastructure is hit for each request. However, the hit is minimal if the html page has not changed.

I am wondering what role Squid would play with the ETag model for html pages. It seems as though the conversation is with the Browser and that the Browser will cache the html pages and determine when to use the If-None-Match http header. Is this true?

Also, I noticed that Squid forces http communication into http 1.0 mode. This has a negative effect when working with IE and the ETag model. Can we have Squid interact in http 1.1?

For the image, css and js files, we have a requirement to check if users are authorized to files before they are serviced. Therefore, once cached in Squid they are serviced by Squid and do not interface with our infrastructure. Is there a mechanism in Squid to enable the appropriate authorization checks before servicing?

Thanks very much,

Steve