Search squid archive

Query on PURGE behaviour...

I've got an inverse proxy setup running with Squid, and I was wondering what the specific behaviour of PURGE is. In this case we've got a Varying header based on the browser and accept-encoding due to gzip-ed content, so my question is does a PURGE for a single URL purge *all* of the variously cached copies for the various browser+encoding strings? I know it keeps separate cache entries for each.

I ask because someone might have an answer that'll save me some time experimenting or digging in code!

TIA!

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler