Search squid archive

Debugging intermittent 502 Bad Gateway errors

Hello,

I have a problem that crops up with a single site (alas, https protocol). It's a subscription service to request financial information on companies. It works as follows: you add a series of filters to trim down the number of results to a suitable number: 50, 100, 400 results, whatever. This poses no problems. Once you're satisfied with the results, you can then either view the results in full, or ask for an export (e.g. to a "popular" spreadsheet).

From time to time, requesting either of these things will result in a lengthy delay, followed by a "Connection reset by peer" message and a 502 error logged by squid. But it usually works. I learnt from the tech support of the site in question is that such a request is being proxied from a back-end server.

After such a failure, a client refresh straight after will bring up the page correctly. I upgraded to STABLE14 yesterday, and I haven't been able to provoke the error since. But as it's intermittent, it's really hard to say.

Anyway, I think the problem isn't with Squid, I think it lies with the site. At the most it's some weird interaction between Squid and this site. But I need more evidence to argue my case.

My question is this: what magic debug string should I use to get some useful information into cache.log? I've tried random sections and depths by grepping the source, but I either get reams of useless information, or nothing.

My hypothesis is that their back-end server is getting overloaded, and is sending some sort of private keep-alive message to the front-end, and that's leaking out to my proxy, which can't make sense of it. I want to log more debug information about strange responses, basically. Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
David

--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."