Search squid archive

external proxy and problems with internal networks

I am looking to uniquely identify each packet as it passes through the squid proxy. This is easy to do by the external IP address as long as there is only one computer on the internal network. As soon as you add a second computer the data begins to become confusing and can't be identified as coming from different computers. To solve this problem we came up with two possible solutions, each of which I'm unsure of their feasibility. The first idea was use a proxy that supports socks5 and inject the username where the packet came from into the packet data. Squid by default injects data into the packet. Example:

Via: 1.1 sparta.coustik.com:1081 (squid/2.5.STABLE11)
Cache-Control: max-age=259200
Connection: keep-alive

As authenticated user with client id "123456" uses the internet any data that is sent through our proxy is tagged with that client id.

CliendID: 123456

Our second Idea was to set up a sub domain for each user. Where a user with client id "123456" connected to 123456.mydomain.com. And like apache squid picks up on url and injects that data into the packet to be used for identification.

Subdomain: 123456.mydomain.com

Are either of these ideas feasible? Any suggestions on implementation would be gladly accepted.

David Neudorfer
1745 East Orange Grove Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91104
626.484.2485