Search squid archive

Re: Bad TCP Checksums/Slow HTTPS connections

Hi,

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 02.05.06 01:48, Sketch wrote:
Running tcpdump on the hosts that squid is running on shows the bad
checksum on outgoing squid packets.  This means that the problem is
not a network switch/hardware, as the packet is built in kernel space,
and then determined to be bad before it ever hits the network
interface.

the packets are propbablby OK, but the kernel probably uses checksumming
capability of your network card(s), as many cards support this and it takes
some load off the CPU.

This is probably not a problem at all.

This is known as Checksum offloading. I once thought I had serious problems on a Windows box... well I did, it was running Windows, but every packet that went out had the wrong checksum, when running Ethereal on the machine in question. Monitoring it at the network level showed that the packets were OK and were obviously subject to checksum offloading. In theory the packet should go to the NIC with a 0 checksum and the NIC should fill in the blanks.

HTH,

Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@xxxxxxxxx
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.