Search squid archive

high response time in the case of high file descriptor usage

HI all,

we're running squid-2.5.S13 on Linux 2.4.32, and we setted file descriptor to be 8k. we found that when file descriptor usage exceeds 2k, the response time will go obviously higher. e.g. response time for hit is 3+ seconds. my questions are: 1) is there any limitation on linux? should file descriptor usage above 2k cause such long response time?
2) how to optimize the response time when file descriptor usage is high?

pls kindly advise, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pang