Search squid archive

Need help to improve squid performance

Hi All,
I need your suggestions to improve the performance of our proxyservers setup. we have 4 squid proxy servers running on Open BSD (HPVectra 600, PIII 700). Below is squid -v output
/opt/squid/sbin/squid -vSquid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE10configure options:  --prefix=/opt/squid --enable-auth=ntlm,basic--enable-external-acl-helpers=wbinfo_group --localstatedir=/var/squid--enable-snmp
We have two 1st tier proxies located on LAN and two 2nd tier proxieslocated in the DMZ. 1st Tier uses NTLM via the the Samba WINBINDprocess and 2nd tier with no authentication required.
Server A & Server C - 1st tier proxiesServer B & Server D - 2nd tier proxies
We have been having performance issues for a long time. I haverecommended them to buy Sun Fire V240 servers to replace these BSDboxes. But they want to increase memory (from 256 MB to 2GB) on theexisting servers and see if that improves the performance.
Below is the current cache size on all 4 servers:
cache_dir ufs /var/squid/cache 400 16 256
On Server A & Server C we have the following config option on thecache_peer line:
cache_peer ServerB parent 3128 3130 weight=15 no-query no-digest
cache_peer ServerD parent 3128 3130 weight=10 no-query no-digest
After I upgrade the memory I want to increase the cache_dir size to2GB. Could someone suggest me if I need to change the cache_peeroptions to improve the performance. I also have cache_mem value set to64mb at the moment. Do I need to increase that after I upgrade thememory. Any other help to improve the performance would be reallyappreciated.
Thanks.