Search squid archive

Re: Solutions for transparent + proxy_auth?

> How is there "authentication" without credentials?  I have misunderstood
> your setup.  What are you referring to when you say "authentication" because
> the knee-jerk reaction is to assume a username and password is
> authenticating...

Yes there is a user/pass.  Everyone is saying that the broswer
shouldn't indiscriminately provide crednetials, which I agree with.
However, in the setup I am proposing, the browser isn't submitting
credentials.  The traffic is intercepted by a local proxy, which does
*not* have authentication and only responds to localhost traffic.  The
local proxy then queries the parent cache with the u/p provided by the
login parameter in the cache_peer config option.  So the
authentication is there, it just doesn't require any user interaction.