Search squid archive

Re: ntlm auth, unauthorized users without popup window

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, [iso-8859-2] Horváth Szabolcs wrote:

I've successfully configured squid to use ntlm authentication. If the authenticated users go through the proxy, the web page will be loaded.
In the opposite side, if any unauthorized users want to browse, popup window appears (username, password).

I know is the default behaviour. Is there any chance to not to popup authentication window in this case?

Unfortunately not.

The proxy can not tell if the user is authenticated or not before.. when the browser figures out that the proxy is requring authentication it pops up that popup, to the proxy the only difference to an already authenticated user is the delay in response from the browser while the user fills in the popup..

What you can control in the proxy is if a user which is denied access should be prompted anew for other user credentials allowing him to log in to the proxy with an account having the required permissions, or if he should immediately be given an access denied page.

Regards
Henrik