Search squid archive

IOS 12.4(5) & Squid 2.5.S12 - WCCP Weirdness Ensues

Hi there,
I have spent three days beating my head against a problem that appears to be a case of dueling Cisco bugs.

I recently swapped a router out, replacing a 3640 with IOS 12.2 and installing a 3845 with 12.4(5) SP Services. We had WCCP running for eternity without problem on the 3640, but WCCP died an ignoble death on the new router. It appears that WCCP would not work at all with ip cef enabled, but with ip cef disabled, various and sundry websites would not work - particularly websites requiring some form of authenticaion - Slashdot, Hotmail, different web forums, etc.

It looks like the warring bugs are akin to CSCsb89463 (Symptoms: WCCP doesnt redirect packets with ip cef enabled --- Workaround: Disable cef with the global command 'no ip cef') and CSCdz36099 (Symptoms: Web sites that require authentication become unreachable --- Workaround: Ensure that CEF switching is enabled on the router). Cute, eh?

Supposedly CSCsb89463 is fixed in 12.4(5) - but it seems pretty non-fixed to me. It seems the only way to get WCCP to work, and not fail on authenticating websites, is to force WCCP through a process switching path. I am doing this by adding a log statement to all of my redirect-list permit statements. This is obviously an undesireable solution for CPU reasons, and it has meant I have had to stop logging to a remote host.

I am wondering if anyone has been through this with similar versions of IOS, and has either a) found a better workaround or b) found a happy working good version of 12.4 IOS.
Cheers,
Graham